China Grove Missionary Baptist Church was organized in 1876 under the leadership of Rev. Tom Sanders. It was then located off Highway 49 North on Cynthia Road. There were a few faithful members, including the Lovett, Younger, Rudd, Donerson, and Runner families. Deacons at that time were Bro. Sonnie Lovett, Bro Matthew James and Bro. Jack Lewis. As the Lord called these faithful members from their labors, he sent others to take their places in his vineyard.
In 1902, Rev. Renzo Brown became pastor. Deacons then included Bro. C. H. Cook, Bro August Figures, Bro Alfred Lewis, and Bro Lewis Jenkins.
Between the years of 1902 and 1919, five pastors were to serve the membership, including Rev. Harris Donerson, Rev. M. S. Lovett, Rev. Sanders Lewis, and Rev. Cary Johnson. Pastors Rev. Jack Hill, Rev. A. M. Peterson, Rev. R. B. Seacy, Rev. Sam Kimball, Rev. Bell, Rev. L. L. Love, Rev. S. P. Johnson, and Rev. J. W. Walker followed these.
Twice in history, the church was destroyed by fire, the second time being in 1937.
In 1956, the church moved from its Cynthia Road location to is present location. Under the leadership of Rev. S. P. Johnson, the church was constructed with Bro. Robert Smith and Bro. Earnest Lewis serving as contractors. On February 26, 1957, dedication services were held. Thirty-six churches were represented.
In February 1964 Rev. B. L. Shelby was called to pastor an d served for 36 years until January 2000. Under his leadership a new sanctuary was built and dedicated in 1986. The Education Building was constructed in 1998.
Rev James Donald was elected as Pastor in January 2001. He is assisted by three Associate Ministers; Rev T.K. Broadnax, Rev. Robert Taylor, Rev James Spencer, and Rev Patrick Littles
© 2012 by China Grove MB Church. All rights reserved